I recently had the opportunity to participate in a roundtable discussion surrounding business in the Northern Utah area put together by Utah Business Magazine. The roundtable was set up to discuss issues such as real estate, education, tourism, economic development, and healthcare.
I thought that the discussion was fascinating and it was interesting to see the number of individuals participating with such an interest in this part of the state. A few of the highlights that came out of the meeting that I thought were interesting and valuable were the following:
- At the time of the printing the unemployment rate in Davis County was 3.9% and it was 4.5% in Weber County.
- Some of the largest commercial real estate developments in the state are occurring in this region including Station Park, Falcon Hill, the Clearfield TOD.
- Weber State University and both Applied Technology schools are doing amazing things to provide specialized expertise to existing employers and those looking to come into the area.
- 300,000 square feet of new office space has come on the market in the last 12 months in Davis County.
- Industrial vacancy continues to be very tight
- The area is really taking advantage of the shift of commercial real estate investment to secondary markets being one of the strongest secondary markets in the country.
- Hotel occupancies and convention booking are significantly higher.
The full article can be read by clicking on the following link: http://www.utahbusiness.com/articles/view/northern_utah_regional_report